Saturday 16 May 2009

Domino's Dilemma

Back again

I am one of these type of people that if I think something is wrong then I speak my mind or until I am proved otherwise.

Our children had been playing up and my wife looked too exhausted to start cooking dinner so I thought I will give her the day off so I ordered a couple of domino's pizzas to be delivered. I used there website which I have done previously, ordered the pizzas, went through to the checkout, paid using a visa debit card and using my verification number, got through to the verified by visa system and entered the letters from my password [which is in my head]. Everything went through ok and sat down expecting a knock on the door very soon.

A knock on the door 30 minutes later, Dominos delivery man arrives and he says I have 2 pizza's for you, can you sign this slip of paper? he then says "can I see the card you placed the order with please?" ok so I go upstairs to the pc, get my wallet go back downstairs and show him my card, at which point he tries to take the card out of my hand and tries to turn it over to look at my signature and also where my 3 number verification number is. At this juncture I felt quite suspicious as I have paid for the pizzas using 2 systems and why should I show the back of my card to someone I don't know. I said to the driver there's the card I ordered it with but I am not showing you the reverse of my card as that info is for me to look at. Delivery man disappears.

I sat down eating my pizza which I was sort of not really enjoying as I was bothered about what had just happened at the front door. I thought I will ring up the local domino's where I ordered it from and ask why is the guy was asking to look at the back of my card.

I spoke to the manager and asked why is your driver asking to look at back of my card as I have paid using a system put in place to replace the chip and pin machine and used verified by visa. I said I objected to this as my bank tells me to keep my card details to myself. The first thing he said was well you are the first person to raise this [woo! do I get a prize or something?].

The manager said due to there being about 6 fraudulent transactions a month where people cancel the transaction or cancel the card that it is now dominos policy to ask to compare the signature you signed the slip of paper with the signature on the back of the card. its funny because there's nowhere on the dominos website that says this. I said to the manager that I have used the verified by visa system and it went through ok, neither was my card reported stolen.

So sorting of going round in circles getting nowhere the manager then said they get the driver to check the cards because if there is a fraudulent transaction then the cost of the pizzas delivered comes out of the delivery drivers wages and how would I like it, nothing like giving me a guilt trip.

The manager then said he was having a busy day and he did not want to discuss it any more so that was the end of that conversation.

Why has the cost of the fraudulent transaction got to be deducted from drivers wages? Its not his fault, he's just the guy who's employed to deliver it. Is this type of practise fair?. If dominos want to offer an online delivery service then they have to take the risks that go with it. Why are they shifting the responsibilty to the delivery driver to check the customers card when 2 systems are already in place? Should they be doing this?

I emailed the head office to complain about this but they have not replied or even acknowledged it.

I have also queried it with my bank as to whether I am at liberty to show my card to a delivery driver [who I don't know if he has a photographic memory] when I have ordered something online, not that I have had a reply from them either. I order all sorts of things online and nobody else when they have delivered it have asked to look at my card. Is this going to be the future?

Would you like to show your bank card and its reverse to someone you don't know?.

seeya

brainblogger

No comments: