Thursday 28 May 2009

Anxiety?, Hello Citalopram

Since my last couple of posts the anxiety and feeling depressed which I was feeling all started to get a bit too much, coping mechanisms went out of the window, not that I had any to start off with, allegedly I am supposed to have all these coping mechanisms to deal with these things but I can't remember what they are.

I took time off voluntary work as I felt drained and I felt like I was being overloaded with everything going on in my life. I underestimate the severity of my injury I have and I often think I can do more than I am capable of. I try to think that I am going to get back to some sort of level of where I used to be before my injury but I now have resided myself to the fact that its never going to happen which is frustrating.

I actually felt like on a few days why do I bother with voluntary work and I didn't want to go back but at least while I am doing that I am building up some sort of work history which might count for something one day and it gets me out of the house.

The problem is I do not know who is impartial that you can talk to about benefits/work. Half the time I don't know whether I am coming or going or who I can trust to advise me in my best interests. I don't trust jobcentreplus or the DEA after my previous experiences with him and I certainly don't want to go on the inflexible new deal or the pathways to nowhere. I just keep going back to my voluntary work. I suppose it will all come to a crunch when I get another IB50 and see what happens then.

Getting back to the plot I went to my new GP the other day which was fantastic, at the old doctors surgery you had to ring them between 8.00am and 8.30am, by the time you have got through after keeping you finger on the redial button, get through the multiple choice options and got through to speak to someone to find out all the appointments had gone for today so you have try again tomorrow. BT must making a small fortune here with all the people trying to phone at the same time. If you do get through and speak to someone on the phone you were subjected to a gestapo style interrogation. Is it an emergency and do you need to see the doctor today?, if it was an emergency I wouldn't be phoning here would I?. I would be phoning for an ambulance.

All I wanted to do was make an appointment to see the GP about my anxiety and some head injury related problems like not enough seratonin being pumped round my brain. Not really an emergency but necessary so it doesn't really fit into either category. Making the phone call to attempt to make an appointment was becoming so difficult I just kept putting it off all the time. If you walked into the surgery and asked at the reception they could not make you an appointment as they tell you to phone up in the morning.

There was the option of pre-booked appointments of course if you are on first name terms with the receptionist and you are not one of these difficult people who do not do what they are told. Hold it folks I thought this was a doctors surgery where you made appointments to see the GP not turn people away to phone up again every morning, got better chance of winning the lottery than getting an appointment.

So I wrote a complaint to the surgery and they generally fobbed me off, wrote a complaint to the primary care trust who were quite helpful but could not really do anything to improve the situation at the surgery. So decided to register somewhere else, the surgery couldn't give me the forms to register elsewhere quick enough after I told them I wanted to go somewhere where I could get a better standard of service. I am entitled to vote with my feet and go somewhere else.

I am now registered at new surgery and they are really helpful, saw the nurse who went over all my history and got an appointment within 4 days to see a new GP, now taking a drug called Citalopram to help the anxiety/depression and got an appointment to see the counciler in a month to help with my negative thinking, probably CBT or probably something similar I have done before.

Ta Ta

Brain-blogger


No comments: